Tuesday, June 12, 2018

History Lesson While You Read

Travelers in Painted Wagons on Cohay Creek was the brainchild of Mary Cooke....my friend who writes as Mary Lou Cheatham. I think Mary Lou must, like many other successful writers, have dozens of ideas just churning in her head. She has such an imagination!

While I, on the other hand, really have to write non-fiction. It has to be something I've seen or something that has happened to me. Sometimes, it's funny - sometimes it's sad. I have that kind of imagination, but I can't imagine something that hasn't happened! I'm just not a fiction writer. Everybody can't be!

I had written lots of things - articles - for the local newspaper, for my blog and for the Writer's Group to which I belong. But.....I had never written a book. I always WANTED to write a book, and had actually started one, years before - but never got around to finishing it.

Mary Lou had read some of the things I'd written. She seemed to appreciate the way I was able to describe scenes - that would make one tend to feel they were actually there, or seeing what I was describing.

She asked if I would like to coauthor 'Travelers' with her and my writing career was born.

I have since written my second (I'll tell you about it on another day), but Mary Lou and Travelers were my inspiration.

You can download it to your Kindle, order the Paperback if you're one of those that likes to "hold a book in your hands," or you can listen to it. Jamie Hockenberg recorded it, on Audible, for us.

Lots of research went into gypsies and gypsy life - so you'll get a history lesson while you listen or read.


No comments:

Post a Comment