Thursday, February 3, 2022

The "Donut Hole" and the Deductible, both are expensive!!

Back in 2013, when my honey was in his "next-to-last" year of living with cancer, I was diagnosed with AFib. AFib can be caused by stress, and caring for a loved one, with cancer is certainly stressful.

My AFib has been mild and I am able to "manage" it.....however, stressful situations can also trigger AFib episodes. Thankfully, I've only had a few since 2013. AFib has ensured that I will always have to take a blood thinner, to prevent a stroke or heart attack. My Cardiologist prescribed Eliquis, several years ago, and it works .....but it's expensive because it isn't Generic.

I'm surprised that today (when I picked up my 90-day Eliquis refill) I didn't have an "episode."

It's absolutely ridiculous that 90 tablets (I take 2, each day) with Medicare and my Supplement cost me an additional $623.00! Of course, it's the first of the year, and I have a deductible to meet.  And then, there was last year, when I was in the "Donut hole."

The "Donut hole" (also known as the Coverage gap) is that time of year when you've reached the limit of what your insurance drug plan will pay. In 2021, it was $4,130. This year (2022) the amount is $4,430. When that period occurs, all prescription drugs become more expensive.  

I recall, in December 2021 going to pick up my 30 day supply of Restasis (Prescription eye drops to treat chronic dry eyes) and the cost was over $160!! I was in the "Donut Hole."

Eliquis won't be eligible to become Generic (and less expensive) until after 2026 and possibly 2031. Until that time, it will remain a very expensive ....though much needed ....drug.

Donut Hole or Deductible .....the end of the year or the beginning of the year....even with insurance......are costly times. (If one doesn't have insurance, there are programs to assist with the cost.)  


No comments:

Post a Comment